Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Real Reason Why Manchester City Is A Contender

After the trashing of Manchester United over the last weekend, some people are beginning to believe that Manchester City are going to be contenders of the title.

I have always been skeptical of one off results. Not because I am a Manchester United fan. Because I am not. Those of you who know me long enough will know. Frankly, after seeing the results of the game, I remember thinking, "These upstarts are going to let the result get to their head and their season will crumble after Christmas".

I have been watching or following the Premier League for a really long time. And if there's one thing that I can take away from every season, it is this simple fact: "Whatever happens before Christmas does not matter". I have seen Kevin Keegan's Newcastle United blow away a 12-point lead in 1995/96.

But what I read today shows some promise:
"“This is only one game,” Mancini (picture) told a news conference. “I think United is one yard above us still ... we can change this only if we win (the title) in the end. After maybe it is different but now United is better than us.”"

This comes from a manager with pure class. After trashing his opponents (the defending champion, no less) with a score of 6-1, he still insists that the opponents are better. This is also reinforced by the fact that Mancini is able to keep Balotelli in check.


This is an example. Balotelli is a double-edged sword. He is super-talented and full of flair. But he is unpredictable and very often overdoes it. This is the huge danger that Manchester City faces. They were in danger of becoming like Balotelli when they beat Manchester United 6-1. But after what Mancini said above, I am inclined to think otherwise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment