Monday, October 31, 2011

Being John Lennon

Some say John Lennon is a genius, along with Paul McCartney and the Beatles crew. I've always liked the Beatles. They are simply timeless. I am not sure if I would call them geniuses, but John Lennon himself most certainly thinks so. Here is what he said:
“People like me are aware of their so-called genius at ten, eight, nine...I always wondered, 'Why has nobody discovered me?' In school, didn't they see that I'm cleverer than anybody in this school? That the teachers are stupid, too? That all they had was information that I didn't need? I got fuckin' lost in being at high school.  
I used to say to me auntie 'You throw my fuckin' poetry out, and you'll regret it when I'm famous,' and she threw the bastard stuff out. I never forgave her for not treating me like a fuckin' genius or whatever I was, when I was a child. It was obvious to me. Why didn't they put me in art school? Why didn't they train me? Why would they keep forcing me to be a fuckin' cowboy like the rest of them? I was different. I was always different.  
Why didn't anybody notice me? A couple of teachers would notice me, encourage me to be something or other, to draw or to paint - express myself. But most of the time they were trying to beat me into being a fuckin' dentist or a teacher" 
Just the other day, I saw this floating around Facebook, so I lifted it. Kudos to whoever made it:



After that, I decided to do some research on my own on John Lennon's other quotes. Here are some of the more interesting ones:
“Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.”  
“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.”  
“The more I see, the less I know for sure.”  
“I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.”  
“God is a concept by which we measure our pain.” 
“How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?”   
“It's weird not to be weird.”  
“You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”  
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.” 
“Avant-garde is French for bullshit” 
Love the last one.

HT: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment